Monday, December 12, 2005

Unveiling the Peacock Feathers Shawl




My Peacock Feathers Shawl is finally finished. I feel so empty without it to work on. This was my first lace project and I am thrilled with it. It took me 4 months of fairly steady knitting to complete. Then again I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 11 month old to impede my progress. My baby loved to pull on the shawl while I was knitting it resulting in stitches falling off the needles.

I used about 1000 yards of Alpaca Cloud in Iris from Knitpicks and size 4 Addi Turbo needles. The finished size was 86 inches by 45 inches, almost the same as estimated in the pattern. The pattern is, of course, the Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting. I found life lines and stitch markers to be invaluable. I had a lot of fun knitting this pattern in spite of my numerous frogging incidents.

Related links:
A Peacock Birthday
Chart 1
Chart 2
Chart 3
Chart 4
Chart 5
Chart 6
Chart 7
Before Blocking
Blocking

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Congratulations!
Mary (from yahoo groups, mahnmd {at}yahoo{dot}com))

Lisa said...

Looks so freaking awesome. four months to complete with two young children. Wow! I say you finished it in record time.

Toni said...

It is soooooooooooo gorgeous! I'm very jealous of your crocheted edging; mine always end up wonky.

Anonymous said...

Lori, that is one beautiful shawl for a first lace project it is awesome. Most people would have started with soething much more simple so good for you!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you chose this as your first project! Congratulations - you did a marvelous job. I, too, did Peacock Feathers this summer and gave it to my mom for Christmas. You can probably see a picture in my archives. I used Knitpicks Shadow yarn, but I've made a lot with the Alpaca Cloud. I think it is my favorite yarn or all time. Congratulations again.
Dorothy (http://www.missouristar.typepad.com)
dswaite@mac.com

Alison said...

Beautiful! I think you'll be surprised and pleased at how very warm your alpaca is!

Joanna said...

Your work is amazing, and I congratulate you on being able to work on it and be mommie too ... I hope the comments from family are now more enthousiastic.

Marlene said...

Your Peacock Feathers Shawl is gorgeous. I used that pattern for my first lace shawl too. It really called to me.