Thursday, December 22, 2005

Library Books

I love to check out knitting books from the library. One of my newest acquisitions is Aran Knitting by Alice Starmore. I generally check out the books just to have a look through the patterns. I have been enthralled by the introduction materials, however, which discuss the probable origins of Aran knitting. The author comes to the conclusion that Aran knitting probably evolved from the Scottish Gansey in the 1930's from the inspiration of one person. From there on the Aran people experimented with it in an attempt to make it marketable. The research that she did is fascinating. The patterns are also great. I would love to make Fulmar that is on the front cover. I have some other sweaters that need to be finished first though. The other shocking this was that this book is available through Amazon for the low price of $229. Thank goodness for libraries.

No comments: