Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's a Peacock Birthday



For my birthday, I asked my mother for the pattern and yarn to make the Peacock Feathers Shawl. I selected Alpaca Cloud yarn in iris and ordered an extra skein of yarn, just in case. I spent my birthday balling up the yarn. This was the first time that I ever balled yarn in center pull skeins. I started balling the yarn by putting the yarn down my thumb. The end of the yarn was in my palm and looped over the top of my thumb. I then wrapped the yarn in a ball around my thumb until voila a center-pull ball of yarn. Pretty good for just using my thumb and my knees to hold the yarn.

Today I received my pattern after much anticipation. I must say that I have never made a lace project before and I realize this is an overly ambitious beginning. I figure I've done about every other type of knitting at some time or another and I would rather make something that I really wanted to make. Anyhow, any lace knitting tips or any specific tips about the Peacock Feathers Shawl would be greatly appreciated.

My plan for tonight is to make the gauge swatch on single-pointed needles. After I determine the needle size then I will order myself some Addi Turbo circular needles, I believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorri:

I'm working on the same shawl,I'm using Helen's lace for it. I'm about halfway through chart 2 (I haven't had a lot of time to knit). Its a pretty great pattern, I wouldn't be too scared! Click on over for moral support if you want:) I like the colors you picked can't wait to see how it knits up. Happy knitting and happy birthday!

PurlPrincess said...

Happy Birthday!!! I just had a birthday too and I also got yarn...LOL. I just emailed you about it! I love that color btw!