Monday, April 07, 2008

Is there room for blogs in the age of Ravelry?

I have not posted in a long time. Partially Ravelry has fulfilled my need to post about my WIP's and my FO's. It also seems that people are not cruising blogs as much now since everyone seems to be cruising Ravelry. I wonder if knitting blogs will not become more of a place to discuss either your personal life and/or a place to post knitting techniques. I don't feel like I have time to post lengthy and witty contents since most of my day is spent chasing around my children. I guess that I will wait and see where this blog goes.


I will include my latest pride and joy though. This is a mitten from Latvian Mittens. If you have seen the cover of the book, it is the black and white mitten in the center of the cover. I have knit is as charted although I believe the mitten was originally supposed to be a man's mitten. I have knit it on 1.50 mm needles to get a smaller mitten. The final gauge was 12 stitches per inch. Finally I blocked it on a bent plastic coated wire hanger. The blocking was perhaps not as severe as I would have liked but it did the job. Now will I ever be brave enough to wear them?

8 comments:

Dave said...

Wow, they're gorgeous. Seriously, 12 spi? Yikes.

carolyninAlaska said...

You're right about Ravelry. I saw your new mittens on Ravelry and they are absolutely gorgeous!
I have also been neglecting my blog, but several of my friends aren't on Ravelry (I don't know why??? I love it!), so I continue to blog occasionally.
So, I just wanted to let you know your blog is still appreciated.

Anonymous said...

They are simply stunning! Fantastic work! I can't see how you can wait wearing them, they are so beautiful!

miyamojo said...

Gorgeous mittens! I would put them in a glass case, or frame the photo. I still come here to stare at your Shetland Lace Stole. :) I'm one who's not in Ravelry... now I feel like I might be missing things! :) Glad you're still knitting between chasing kids!

stitchin' girl said...

What lovely mittens!!! I would wear them with pride.

Rebecca said...

GREAT mittens!

I, for one, have not slowed down in my blogging but do know that less people frequent it than they used to. That must be why. I hope Ravelry doesn't replace knitting blogs. I think the 'personal' touch is lost on Ravelry and you can't really get to know knitters as well.

Garngamen said...

Beautiful! Just amazing mittens(Im also in Raverlry all the time.... Addictive it is!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful mittens, just love them.
You may be right about Ravelry and blogs, but I like my blog, and will continue as long as I can.
But, Ravelry is indeed a great place.