Monday, July 04, 2005

On the Needles




I'm currently working on two projects. The first is a glove pattern that I am designing with cables up each finger. It has gone fairly smooth so far. I am using baby alpaca / merino yarn that I found on Elann.com for the design. The yarn feels so luxurious I never want to knit with anything else again. I am trying to write up the pattern as I go along to post on the web. It seems as if a lot of knitting design is just a matter of math. I always excelled at math in high school. My parents didn't think that I was using it now (lol).

The second project that I have been working on is a sock for the six sock knitalong that I just joined. The pattern is called Chutes and Ladders. I have been perusing pictures of socks that people have completed for the knitalong. I think that I prefer the look of continuing the pattern through the foot instead of stopping the pattern at the ankle so I may alter the pattern in that way. I am using Sock It to Me! Esprit, again from Elann.com. This yarn is cotton with a little elastic which I am finding challenging to work with. It has been hard getting a consistent tension since the yarn stretches so much but I think I have gotten the hang of it. I also used the Norwegian cast-on for the first time. I think I should practice it on wool yarn sometime because it was very difficult to do with the elastic in the yarn.

No comments: