Sunday, June 11, 2006

Back At Last

After over a two week journey to visit relatives we have returned to Michigan. We did almost 5 days of driving and unfortunately I get car sick so I could not even knit in the car. On a positive note, I arrived home with 2 pounds of yarn and 9 cirucular needles. I took almost 300 pictures so I will give you a photo tour of my trip.

My in-laws live in Maine and I was lucky to find an organic farm that raised alpaca, sheep, and various other animals. I picked up 2 pounds of worsted weight yarn in a mohair and merino blend. I envision a sweater in its future.



















When returning home, we stopped at Niagara Falls in Canada. Lace knitters may know what vision that inspires. . . Aero circular needles, of course! I visited The Knitting Habit and purchased 9 circular needles. I purchased a few Inox greys, aero, and pony needles. They seemed to be nice and pointy. I am looking forward to seeing how they work for me.




Currently I am using my 2.75 mm needles to work on a stole out of Lacy Lamb yarn (a cobweb weight). I am designing the stole myself with the help of Sharon Miller's Heirloom Knitting. You probably can't tell much now since lace always looks awful until blocked, but my stole bears a strange resemblance to Sharon Miller's Unst Stole and Hazel Carter's Sampler Stole from a Gathering of Lace. Strangely enough these stoles bear a strange resemblance to each other so I decided to create a variation that is uniquely my own.

4 comments:

DeeAnn said...

Hi Lorri! *waves across the state from Oxford*

I love how your variation on the Unst stole is turning out, very pretty! I've only done very simple lace so far, your projects are very inspiring :)

Marji said...

Your lacework is inspiring, your Fulmar is something I'm envious of, and in general your knitting is wonderful.
Isn't Threadbear just fabulous? I need to get back up to Michigan, hopefully by Sept, just to take a field trip to Lansing.

Jenny Raye said...

Hey Lorri,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. You asked about blocking the cashmere--the only thing that was really different was washing it in hot, hot water. I just blocked using wire and pulled it tight, really tight, in order to get the pattern to open up a bit.

Your lace is beautiful....off to look through your archives.

Please stop by my bloghome anytime you like!

Terri said...

Hi Lorri, Loved looking at your blog. You do beautiful work. You asked about the Sweaters from Camp book. Look at the photos section of the SFCKAL Yahoo group to see pics of the 35 sweaters in the book. One of the best part of the book is the techniques section at the front of the book.